Friday, June 23, 2017

Praying for Your Pastor - Col. 4:2-6

Introduction
Prayer is the lifeblood of the Christian life, that was the main point of last week's sermon.  Today I want to continue walking our way through these few verses on Christian graces and consider a particular prayer request of Paul's.

This is a hard sermon to preach because it seems to be self-serving since I am going to ask you to pray for your pastor and I am your pastor.  However, the Scriptures teach it and we must consider it.  And perhaps, because pastors have been reticent about asking for prayer for themselves, the Church of Christ has suffered.

"If Paul turns beggar, and desires the remembrance of others for him, who then needs it not?"  William Gurnall

So I stand before you as a beggar, pleading with you to pray for your pastor.

I.             The Place of Praying for Your Pastor Is Part of Waging of War against Satan

A.  Paul also instructed the Ephesian church to pray for their pastor as part of the great Armor of God passage.

Eph. 6:11, 18-20 – Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil…. praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints – and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

B.  We often think of the sword, or the breast plate, or the helmet, but praying for each other and your pastor is as much a part of getting ready to battle the flesh, the world, and the devil as any of the other parts of the armor.

"The church cannot be expected to do its work effectively if the leaders are not being loyally supported by their followers.  It is a matter of fact that we are often slow to realize to this day that effective leadership in the church demands effective following.  If we are continually critical of them that are set over us, small wonder if they are unable to perform the miracles that we demand of them."  Leon Morris

II.          The Content of the Prayer.

A.  Even though Paul is in jail, he wants to continue evangelizing those who are around him.

B.  So he asks the Colossians to pray for opportunities to speak the Word, 3.

1.   Paul doesn't ask them they pray that his circumstances would change so that he could proclaim the Gospel.

a.    He is simply asking that the door would be open for him do so.

b.   Whether in chains or not, he wants to be able to speak the Gospel.

2 Tim. 2:8-9 – Remember that Jesus Christ, of the seed of David, was raised from the dead according to my gospel, for which I suffer trouble as an evildoer, evento the point of chains; but the word of God is not chained.

2.   This is not just relegated to preaching.

3.   Any opportunity to speak what the Bible says.

C.  He also wants them to pray that he would be able to speak as he ought, 4.

1.   Paul does not want in any way muddle the message of Christ.

2.   He wants to make it manifest, that is, make it clear.

3.   Paul could not stand not preaching the Gospel!

1 Cor. 9:16 – For if I preach the gospel, I have nothing to boast of, for necessity is laid upon me; yes, woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!

D.  Paul's request for this particular prayer helps us see what is at the core of the pastor's job: speaking the Word!

2 Tim. 3:16-4:5 – All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.  I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.  But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

E.   This involves at least doing three things.

1.   Preaching

2.   Teaching

3.   Counseling

III.       The Manner of Praying for Your Pastors, 2.

A.  What we saw last week applies to all prayers, including praying for your pastor.

1.   Alertness (be vigilant)

a.    Pay attention to your prayers, stay awake.

b.   Be aware of what is going on around you so you can pray for it.

2.   Thankfulness

a.    This is a common receipt in Paul's teaching about prayer.

b.   Thankfulness is woven in everything the Christian does – at least it should be.

c.    A lot of our problems, both personal and relational, would be solved if the attitude of thankfulness was constantly present in our lives, specially in prayer.

B.  Eph. 6:18 adds a few more things.

Eph. 6:18 – … praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints….

1.   Always

2.   About everything

3.   By the power of the Holy Spirit

4.   Careful that we do not neglect it.

C.  This is the intensity and fervency with which we must be praying for your pastor and elders.

IV.        Why Pray for Your Pastors? (7 reasons)

A.  Because the Bible says so.

1.   This is the simplest and most important reason.

2.   We often think that this is not a good reason for anything.

3.   We insist on having a better argument than that.

4.   Yet, there is no greater argument for doing something than God telling you in his Word to do it.

B.  Because God has entrusted to them the feeding of his flock.

Jn. 21:15-17 – So when they had eaten breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me more than these?"  He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You."  He said to him, "Feed My lambs."  He said to him again a second time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?"  He said to Him, "Yes, Lord; You know that I love You."  He said to him, "Tend My sheep."  He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of Jonah, do you love Me?" Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, "Do you love Me?"  And he said to Him, "Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You."  Jesus said to him, "Feed My sheep."

C.  Because when they go astray, you go astray.

Mal. 2:8 – "… you have departed from the way; you have caused many to stumble at the law.  You have corrupted the covenant of Levi," Says the LORD of hosts.

D.  Because Satan knows that it is much more efficient to go for the leader.

Zech. 13:7 – "Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, against the Man who is My Companion," Says the LORD of hosts.  "Strike the Shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered; then I will turn My hand against the little ones."

E.   Because your pastor is a sinner just like you are and struggles with sin just like you do.

Rom. 7:18-25 – For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.  For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.  Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.  I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good.  For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man.  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.  O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?  I thank God -- through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.

F.   Because their burden is great (one day the books will be opened…).

Jam. 3:1 – My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.

G.  Because he is an ambassador of Christ, 20.

1.   An ambassador delivers his master's words to those they were meant.

2.   Your pastor is God's mouth to you.

V.           Paul's Petitions.

A.  Petition 1: Pray that when I speak the right words will be given to me.

1.   Do you realize that Paul was in prison when he wrote this letter?

a.    He had been arrested in Jerusalem and after a period of two years he made his way to Rome.

b.   He was waiting trial before Caesar or one of his deputies.

c.    Now, the type of prison that he was in was a little different than what we would likely picture in our minds.

1)   He was under house arrest.

2)   Friends could come and visit him.

3)   He could write to the various churches.

4)   But he couldn't go where he wanted.

5)   And he had to have a Roman soldier chained to them at all times – in a chain.

Phil 1:12-14 – But I want you to know, brethren, that the things which happened to me have actually turned out for the furtherance of the gospel, so that it has become evident to the whole palace guard, and to all the rest, that my chains are in Christ; and most of the brethren in the Lord, having become confident by my chains, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

2.   Instead of asking prayer for his deliverance or well being, Paul wants the church to pray that God would give him the right words to say in order to spread the Gospel.

a.    Remember!  Paul is waiting to come before the Roman emperor to be tried for his crime.

b.   He was going to appear before the most powerful man in the world.

c.    Paul's life was in this man's hands.

d.   Yet, he wants the church to pray that God would give him the best words for him to present the Gospel to the emperor.

B.  Petition 2: Pray that I would boldly (fearlessly) make known the mystery of the Gospel.

Eph. 6:19 – … and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel….

1.   Besides asking the church to pray for the right words, Paul wanted the church to pray that he would also have the courage to proclaim them.

2.   It would be pointless to know what words to say but not have the courage to say them.

C.  You should hear in Paul's request for prayer your pastor's request for the same prayer.

1.   Week after week, your pastor has the task of bringing the Word of God to you.

2.   He needs your prayer.

3.   Pray the Spirit would feed him so that he can, in turn, feed you.

4.   Pastors like everybody else like to be liked; but it is part of our calling to say things that you don't want to hear, that are hard, that are unpopular, and that are tremendously beneficial for you.

5.   So, pray for them, that the fear of man, or desire of man's approval, would not stop him from proclaim the whole counsel of God, even the hard things.

6.   Pray that God would give your pastor boldness to make known the entirety of the Gospel to you.

7.   Pray that God would give your pastor a fearless and courageous attitude in his preaching.

VI.        Other Petitions on behalf of Your Pastor That Are not in This Passage.

A.  Pray that your pastor would not struggle with pride; rather would humbly serve Christ and his Church.

1.   Pride works in several ways.

a.    One Sunday he is super happy because the church is really full.

b.   The other Sunday he is down because the church is not as full.

c.    Either way is a demonstration of pride as if he were the one who filled churches.

2.   Pride shows itself in his taking offense at complaints about his preaching and ministry.

B.  Pray that your pastor would not preach for self-gain, rather that any glory would go to Christ.

C.  Pray for your pastor's family, particularly his relationship with his wife.

D.  Pray for his children that they might grow in the grace of the Lord.

E.   Pray for self-discipline in all areas, particularly in the use of time.

1.   In a small church like ours, where there is no other staff and the pastor works mostly by himself, it is very easy to waste time because there is no accountability.

2.   It is easy to be distracted with other things.

F.   Pray that your pastor will not grow bitter.

1.   More often than not, the people the pastor spends the most time trying to help are the people who appreciate that help the least – it is very tempting to become bitter toward them.

2.   Also, in the age of social media, where life is lived on Facebook, Instragram, Snapchat, etc. and every moment is documented (I am really embarrassed to confess this), it is very tempting for me to think, "They have time for every thing else except for the things of the Lord," and then become bitter.

3.   Another source of bitterness is the very nature of the job.

a.    God says, "You work as hard as you possibly can."

b.   And than he says that it won't matter how hard you work because the results are not up to you.

Conclusion


Perhaps this was the most self-serving message you have ever heard in your life, but consider the blessings that you will reap if the Lord answers your prayers for your pastor.  Consider how he will be able to minister to you in a more effective way.  It may not be a self-serving sermon after all!


http://olympiabp.blogspot.com/2017/06/praying-for-your-pastor-col-42-6.html
RSS Feed

Send olympiabp blog feed to OBPC Podcast

IFTTT