Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Young Women, Miley Cyrus, and Grace - From a Young Woman to a Young Woman

I've sat through plenty of speech classes before and I've definitely listened to enough hours of my English teacher's lecturing to know that you shouldn't just announce what you want to talk about at the beginning of what you have to say, but here it is, I want to talk about the grace of my forgiving Savior and about my sins that put my Savior on the cross of Calvary.  Grace resplendent and given to me that called down my Savior from eternal splendor to be born in a cattle trough because he loved someone like me. 

Since I am already breaking the rules, I'll start by stating my argument.  The world around us today is so utterly fallen and our hearts are desperately wicked above all things.  Recently, it was as if Christian circles got their cataracts removed like Mr. Bond last spring.  This surgery reminded our English teacher that trees had leaves and that raised hands had five finger, Miley Cyrus's performance with Robin Thicke at the VMAs reminded us of our depravity.  The poor girl, just a few years ago was held as a role model for young girls around the world, who was aloud into Christian homes because she was wholesome. She had even gone to the point of claiming Christianity and ten year old Christian girls who so badly wanted a role model in today's popular culture believed her. For a while. Today girls like me look at her and don't know what to think. Girls who are growing up to be women now and are seeking to do that in a godly way watch her flounder like a child, who has noticed that his or her parent might not be looking and takes the cookie, she plays with fire of fornication and fame. We must remember that the loving parent is always bound to turn around to see the chocolate left on the child's face, the only evidence of their rebellion, but when society turned around to view Miley again, she had much more than a messy face to cover up. 

When I looked at her at first, not even attempting to cover her sins, I hated her. I couldn't help thinking that she was throwing away her God given beauty and talents and playing the fool like in Proverbs 15:21, which says, "Folly is a joy to him who lacks sense, but a man of understanding walks straight ahead." Of course she was the one who lacked sense and I was walking perfectly ahead without a problem or a care. 

Remember at the beginning when I said that I was going to break the rules and announce what I was going to talk about? Here is where that grace stuff comes in. It is only because of that grace that I am not where Miley Cyrus is. Simply because my Savior, in his mercy, chose to show me the agony of his son on the cross I am not worse than she is. I can say with Isaac Watts, "Why was I made to hear Thy voice,
And enter while there's room,
When thousands make a wretched choice,
And rather starve than come?" 

In our pride it is so easy to forget, to gloat over others who are struggling to stay afloat. We become preoccupied to realize that we are sinking and too blind to look to the ONLY thing that can keep us afloat, but even in our pride, God's grace comes back in triumphantly. Just when we realize that we're sinking, he doesn't leave us searching in the dark for hope and lusting after the decaying wealth of the world and our own self-satisfaction, but like a loving father, he lifts us back up to new places. With a gentle caress he lifts our head to once again to see the beautiful glow and welcoming smile of his merciful face saying, "You did again, my child, but from down there you can see me more clearly. I love you still despite all and because of my Son I will keep you close." 

So now, because God chooses to use the ugliness of this fallen world to show his beauty, my heart aches for Miley Cyrus. It is time to pray. We know that God is more powerful than even our most horrific sins and he can change the souls of any of his lost sheep. But it is no longer just about one girl; it is about the society that we live in today, which is festering in its own waste and merely continuing to spew out more waste. Our Savior can change the masses. We must pray that though Miley has ruined something that was once so beautiful in many ways and degraded herself to a worldwide scandal, Christ would beautify her and that he would shine through her so that every knee would bow and eyes would see the arms of a loving savior like Watts says later in the hymn, Pity the nations, O our God! 
Constrain the earth to come;
Send Thy victorious Word abroad,
And bring the strangers home." 

Prayer changes things because our God is a God full of beautiful and amazing grace and that grace will not end until every stranger he has willed has been brought safely home and even, "When we've been there ten thousand years," that grace will not cease to be amazing. When I was younger "Amazing Grace was my all time favorite hymn and with childish acceptance I embraced that graced and loved it, but it seems, I've forgotten, even ignored its beauty that rings so true to a sinner like me no better than poor Miley Cyrus save by the grace of my glorious Savior. 

Amazing grace! How sweet the sound

That saved a wretch like me. 

I once was lost, but now am found, 

Was blind but now I see! 

LORD JESUS PLEASE ALLOW US AND ALL THE WORLD TO SEE

http://olympiabp.blogspot.com/2013/09/young-women-miley-cyrus-and-grace-from.html




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 881887